Wednesday 30 March 2011

Answer to evaluation question 2

How does your media product represent particular social groups?



This is my main character Olivia. In our film she is wearing a pink jumper and jeans which represents the stereotypical teenage girl. Also this look is similar to what the character Kate wears in the film 'My sisters keeper'.

This casual style is representative of a stereotypical teenage girl because teenagers generally do not yet have jobs which require smart clothing nor are the young children who love to dress up. With the character I tried to connote this because I felt it was important as a way for our audience to connect with our character and therefore follow the characters story.

Another stereotype I tried to play on is that teenagers are generally stroppy and up to no good. Although this is not common in all teenagers I know this is a strong stereotype that I have decided to use to connect our audiences to our character. Also I believed that this will give older women something to connect with as they can relate with the experiences that they had when they were teenagers or the experiences they know other teenagers are having whether its their daughter, their sister or just a friend of theirs.

One character theory I purposely subverted was Laura Mulvey's theory that stated that film places women as subordinates who are inactive. I wanted to subvert this because I felt that the theory was dated and I wanted to feature a female in our film. Also women now have equal rights compared with men so I wanted our film to be up to date and current.

No comments: